Monday, July 9, 2007

Tomato thieves and other issues

Yep, my first tomato of the year was almost ripe when it was snatched right off the vine. To say I was angry is an understatement. I have no idea who, or what, stole it. To be fair, most likely it was my dog,Riley. Still I will be keeping an eye out for intruders now.
Also attacking my tomatoes is a blight. According to my research, this is a fungus that attacks the leaves, usually turning them yellow then brown as they die. I think ours came from the last plant we purchased, on sale, from a less than reputable dealer. I came to this brilliant conclusion because the blight started the day after I planted that one. I have treated all the plants with Neem Oil again. I also removed as much of the effected foliage as possible. The other plants seem to be making a recovery. The "carrier" is barely making it. The only reason I haven't pulled it entirely is that it has one tomato on it. I don't want to sacrifice the tomato. I will do so in a few days. Then it'll probably be able to ripen off the plant.
This weekend I went to the North Union Farmers Market again. New this week were beets(I got 3 varieties that will be dinner tonight)green and purple beans, and squash. I got some black raspberries from Rittman's that were really good. I also purchased some cheese from the Middlefield Amish Cheese co-op. I put smoked cheddar on my burgers and was in heaven. Seriously, it's amazing!! I'll probably make them for the third time since buying this cheese. It doesn't need any condiments it's so good!!
There is a Barberton Farmers Market starting this week at Wink's. I will be checking this one out too. I need more tomatoes!! Soon the Akron Market will start at Stan Hywet Hall. There is also the Akron Beacon Journal market. So, I'm set for the rest of the season.
I will be making bread later this week when the temperature goes down a bit. My DH got me a big bowl to make it in. It's large enough to mix and knead in, so it makes less mess.
Still no worms. They were supposed to have been shipped out on July 2 and arrive a few days later. That was a week ago. I put in a call to the "worm guy"(names are withheld to protect the guilty). It has not been answered yet. If I don't hear from them today I'm declaring war!! No, actually I can file a dispute with Paypal and get my money back. Still, I'm disappointed. Admittedly, my enthusiasm over the whole vermicomposting thing has really waned over the last month.
My DH is on vacation this coming week, so I'm hoping to drag him blueberry picking. My usual place doesn't seem to be open yet, so I'm going to have to find a new place. I was hoping to go to Rittman's again. Unfortunately, the nice young man at the market informed me that they don't have U-pick blues this year. I also want to check out the "hydroponic strawberries" that I found nearby.
Completely off topic~ If you are the owner of a "house bunny" as I am... Please do not purchase the "Four Paws lead with harness"!!! I purchased this for Cappuccino last week so I could let her run around outside without having to worry so much about her getting out of the yard. I chose this particular one because it had a locking harness so it wouldn't choke her. Well, apparently her fur got caught in the lock and prevented it from working. Within a few minutes of putting it on, her eyes were bulging and she was gasping for air!! Unfortunately, the lock worked well enough that I couldn't get it off of her. Luckily, DH was able to save the day and Cappuccino. However, it was a very scary few minutes for all involved. Needless to say, she will never be leashed again. Instead we are working to train Riley to not chase her in the back yard, which is fenced in.
Update: I got another email regarding the worms. Now they say they're being shipped out at the end of the week. The company is blaming the "extreme heat" on the late shipment.

No comments: