Tuesday, July 10, 2007

This means war!!!

This morning when I went to check out the garden, I noticed a cabbage leaf on the ground outside the bed. Hhhmmmmm. Upon further examination I realized there is a hole where that plant used to be!!!!! The entire cabbage plant is gone. Well, except for the leaf that was left behind. I highly doubt that Riley would have eaten the whole plant, so I'm pretty sure I have an intruder.
I'm guessing it's a bunny. The other night when I had Cappuccino out back to play, a wild bunny was in the neighbor's yard having a snack. Cappuccino was very intrigued by this creature and sat watching it for several minutes. I don't think she understood why it was eating something as dull as grass when there are yummy things like shoes, computer cords and bananas to eat! I'm surprised at it's boldness considering Riley is a rather large dog that loves to chase bunnies. However, this clever thief must realize that Riley sleeps in the house, leaving a salad bar perfectly available for passers-by.
So, my first move in defense of my food will be to leave Riley out for the next few nights. She doesn't mind, it's actually cooler than in the house. Unfortunately, she will bark ferociously at the paper lady, but an early wake up is a small price to pay for broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts right from the garden. I may have to share some with my neighbors to make up for the annoyance though.
I had my first pepper yesterday!! Granted it was a little small and green, but it was so tasty in the enchiladas I made. I read that picking one or two early peppers will allow the remaining fruit to get larger and sweeter. I also got a habenero that had fallen off the plant. I wish I'd noticed it when I was making the enchiladas.
The radishes are just about done, so I need to find something to fill in that area. I think it's too early to do a second planting of spinach, but I'm going to look into that. I'll be reading the "bible" today.

No comments: