Saturday, May 19, 2007

Plant Sale Day!!!!

plants I purchase today
seedlings
garden today
YEAH!!! I have my plants. I was so excited that we ended up there early. However, much to my surprise, it was packed already. I know now that when it comes to plant sales, there is no "too early". Still, I got all the varieties that I wanted(and some I hadn't planned on). Mostly heirloom tomatoes and peppers. I also got a small pack of lettuce since mine is taking it's good ol' time getting big enough to eat. I may actually go back tomorrow because DH reminded me how much he and the kids loved a variety of cherry tomatoes that we got from the CSA last year. For $2.50, I think it's worth it. Hopefully I can fit another trip into my schedule tomorrow.

So far, the garden is doing well. Some of my seedlings aren't doing as well as I'd hoped. Since I broke my lamp, they may not be getting enough light. There is the distinct possibility that I will be buying broccoli plants in the near future. Also, two of my squash haven't come up at all. I'm going to try again today, but that doesn't give them much time before planting. I may also add in some cabbage, but I'm still debating.

I purchased 2 "mystery plants" from the sale today. These are ones that didn't get labeled, so they were unsure what exactly they were. I got one tomato and one pepper. I can't wait to see what they end up being. Stay tuned for this exciting news. We should all know in a month or so.

So, here's what I purchase today:

Tomatoes:

mystery, Brandywine, San Marzano, Speckled Roman

Peppers:

mystery, jalapeno, habanero, Orange Bell, Quadrato di Asti Giallo(Yellow bell)

Mixed lettuce
Next week I plan on planting. The weather is supposed to get warm again. Today it's in the 60's. I'm going to try and wait until Memorial Day, but I usually give in before then. I may start my beans this week, but I need to read the description again first. Oh, and check my "bible" for proper planting time.

No comments: