Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Vermicomposting!!



Well, I have entered a new stage of garden obsessed. Yesterday, after several days of research, I ordered a pound(approx. 1000) of red worms. These worms will be used exclusively in a composting bin which I will be preparing this week. Ya see, these worms can turn several pounds of organic waste(food, paper, cardboard) into compost in a few weeks. Usually this process takes months. In the past, I've done this with an ordinary compost pile. I never had enough stuff to really get it going, so I didn't see the great benefits. Now that we are in the city, I don't have room for a compost pile of any size. After reading a book titled "Eat More Dirt", I thought I'd give this way a try.

Although I personally am not a big fan of worms, my DS thinks they are cool. So, not only will this project be good for the environment and my garden, it will also be an educational experience for the kids. I will post pics once the worms arrive. Initially, I'm going to try using a converted extra large "tote". I'd like to have DH make a wooden bin, but that'll have to wait.

As promised, here are some pics of my Cappuccino. As I type, she is doing a "happy dance" around my living room. If you've never experienced this particular dance you don't know what you're missing. It is hysterical!!! She runs around, then hops, throwing in a few pirouettes while she's at it. I wish I could get it on video. I may borrow a camera just for that some day.

No comments: