Thursday, June 21, 2007

Strawberries!!

Yesterday the kids and I went to Rittman's Farm and picked strawberries. Initially we picked 2 buckets full, but that didn't seem like enough. So, I sent DD back to get a few more buckets. We ended up with 5 buckets full!! This totalled around 30 pounds of berries!!! Yep, that's right 30 pounds. An insane amount.
I took a picture of it, however I can't download it. Why, you ask? Well, because my darling bunny, Cappuccino, ate the cable that connects the camera to the computer. She bit clear through the wire. So, until I replace the cable, my pics are being held hostage in the camera.
I have already made 14 small jars of jam, strawberry shortcake, strawberry pancakes and we've eaten a ton. However, that was only one bucketful. Today I'm planning to make more jam, but I'm out of small jars. I guess I'll make a few big jars. I'd like to try a cooked jam. The ones I've made so far are freezer jam. One batch is regular and the other is lower sugar. I'm also looking for a "no sugar", but not artificially sweetened recipe. I'll be checking out recipezaar for that today. I will also be freezing some sliced and sweetened for topping. I love strawberries on my waffles and french toast.
I have a strawberry scone recipe that my sister loves. I'm going to give it a try. I refused to make it earlier because it takes several cups of berries. That's too expensive when they aren't in season. Oh, BTW~ these were $1.15 a pound. I don't know if that's a good price or not. They are really good though.
In the garden... I have several little tomatoes now. Ironically, my "Early Girl" doesn't have any. Either does my Brandywine. That makes me sad, because I love those. The peppers are getting big and there are lots of little ones now. These are the best looking peppers I've ever grown. Yeah!! Oh, and I have a teeny tiny head of broccoli. It's so cute!! All in all, a good food week here at my house.

No comments: