Saturday, June 16, 2007


my grape tomatoes in a barrel

As you can see, the garden is growing well!! As you can also see, photography is not my gift. I'll work on this.

Today my DD and I went to a new Farmer's Market. It is much closer than the one we usually go to and had a nice selection. We purchased some yummy strawberries, and vowed to go picking this week!! We also got some red leaf lettuce for Cappuccino and some grass fed beef for our Father's Day dinner.

DH got a beautiful looking steak. I got some burgers for the kids and me. The key to cooking grass fed beef is to not overcook it. It turns to leather very easily. I usually grill it to 140 degrees and then take it off and let it sit a while. The temp will continue to rise and it'll stay juicy and tender.

From the garden, we have continued to enjoy peas, radishes and lettuce. The tomatoes and peppers are looking good. I'm not sure whats up with the members of the cabbage family. I may have planted them too late. Since I haven't planted any of these varieties before, I've taken a wait and see attitude.

The kids and I went sugar snap pea picking this week. We couldn't stop ourselves and ended up with about 6 pounds of peas!!!! Amazingly, they are all gone. I did give a pound to a neighbor, but the rest we 'et. They were so sweet. We wanted to go back, but didn't make it. We picked about a pound of strawberries also, but they were unimpressive and are still sitting in the fridge. They will probably end up as worm food.

Speaking of worms, no word yet on when they will arrive.

No comments: