Sunday, June 3, 2007

Saturday, June 2nd



Well, as you might be able to tell from the pics, things are growing well. You may also notice that I have more tomatoes. This time I bought an "early girl", "sweet pear" and "yellow sunshine". The last 2 are cherry tomatoes. I ran out of room in the garden, so I put them in a barrel along with the lavender that I got last week that I didn't have room for. I also planted a basil, but my DS was "helping" and weeded it out. :)
I was concerned about the quality of the soil I was using, so I added in some composted manure and a "top dressing". I noticed today that the Brandywine that I thought was near death has a teeny tiny tomato on it. The pepper plants have quite a few too. (peppers, not tomatoes)
I have picked nearly all the spinach. It's yummy. I may try another planting. I know it's getting kind of hot, but it's worth a try. We have enjoyed several small radishes. I also have a few peas. I'm very excited about those. Still, the ones that I replanted aren't catching up. Squashes and cucs are doing well.
Today was the opening day of the Peninsula farmers market. The kids and I made our way down there. It was packed!! I was able to purchase the last quart of strawberries!!! I had to threaten to arm wrestle an old man for them. His friend assured me I'd win. :) We also got a selection of apples. I managed to leave without any new plants.
There was some really cool stained glass there that I'd love. I could have spent a fortune, but I didn't. We did splurge and get some croissants, too. I don't usually buy bakery there, but it was opening day. Oh, and DS bought some cheese. An organic, locally made pepper jack. He loves his cheese. He tried them all, even the habenero, before making his decision. Next week he wants the habenero.I think it's too hot.
The weather is cooling down a bit, so I'm going to try and pick some berries this week.

No comments: