Sunday, August 26, 2007

Planting time, again

Well, I think it's time to start second plantings. My goal this week is to do another planting of broccoli, lettuce and peas. Hopefully I can get one more crop of these before the snow. I also need to get dirt for the second bed so I can plant onions and garlic.
I picked squash today. I have no idea if there were ripe. I'm not even sure how to tell. But, they'd been sitting there awhile without changing, so I figured they were done. Unfortunately, it looks as if these are the only two I'm going to get. I think the soil they were in just wasn't adequate for their needs. Hopefully, next year, when they are in the raised bed they'll do better.
I didn't make it to any farmers markets this week. I still want to get to the one at Stan Hywet. I'm hoping this is the week. I know they will start closing down soon. It seems like the farmers market season goes by quicker than anything else. I really miss them when they're gone.
In sadder news, the worms are gone. And by that I mean, dead. This last week we had some major storms here in Northeastern Ohio. Even though their container was covered and had drainage holes, they were still flooded.(along with the back yard and part of our basement) As far as I can tell, there weren't any survivors. May they rest in peace.

No comments: