Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A very busy weekend

a selection of bagels
savory bagels and scones with whipped butter
unimpressive casserole
does this look like $100 worth of dirt?
my first section of seeds
Well, I've done a lot since my last post. The garden has gone in and I started planting. So far it has lettuce, spinach and pea seeds. I've seen a few tiny signs of green. I can't wait until they sprout!! I also started some broccoli, leeks and herbs inside. The broccoli has sprouted like crazy!

Also, I hosted a brunch for my family this weekend. I got a few pics after the food had been gotten into. I made cinnamon rolls, bagels (cinnamon raisin, cranberry, cinnamon/sugar, asiago, asiago W/ garlic, onion and poppy seeds), cranberry scones, hash brown casserole, eggs and bacon. We also made a cranberry punch. The cranberry theme really wasn't intentional, but I do love cranberries. Everything turned out really good, but I didn't like the hash browns. It was supposed to be a knock off of Cracker Barrels, but I don't think it tasted anything like them. I sent them home with Dad because he loved them.

The bagels were even better this time than they were last time. The only real change I made was to use the high gluten flour. I made them a little smaller, too. My only complaint is that I can't figure out how to keep them fresh. They tasted a bit stale the next day and continued to get worse until they were gone. They only lasted 3 days. I should try freezing them, but I'm afraid they'll be awful and then I'll have wasted perfectly yummy bagels. DH is trying to get his hands on a commercial mixer for me. I spent 40 minutes straight kneading while making brunch. My arms were killing me. This was the day after I helped wheel 3 yards of dirt up hill!!

Anyway, here are some pics. I can't seem to figure out how to put them where I want them. It's a little annoying.


No comments: