Thursday, May 15, 2008

Still on the planet

Lest you think I've fallen off the face of the earth, here I am. If you think I'm going to give a lovely post with pics of my ever growing beautiful garden, you're smokin' something.
It's not my fault! I dutifully and enthusiastically started many seeds in March. Leeks, grape tomatoes, all sorts of herbs, zinnias and morning glories. All of course, with the intention of planting them. However, I did not take into account that right about the time my seedlings would be growing strong, my puppy would be also. Ya see, my darling Toby is nearly 9 months old. This time of puppy hood, in case you didn't know, is hell. She's obnoxious and into everything. The least of which has been my seedlings. (the most of which is some brand new carpet. Need I say more)She destroyed them. First, while they were still in the house, she would reach up and grab a few pots and drag them all around my living room. Did I mention that I have cream carpet?? Then, in order to spare the ones that remained, I moved them to the fenced in raised beds. Foolishly, I thought they were safe only to come home one day to what I can only describe as a massacre. All I salvaged were a few leeks, that I doubt will make it, and a few unknown plants. No, I did not fail to label them, Toby took those out!! As if that were not enough, she also dug up the newly planted lettuce and broccoli on the same day.
So, I now have no choice but to purchase my plants yet again. If you recall from last year, this is especially dangerous for me. Well, to my pocketbook, really. Still, I'm compiling the list and planning my trips. Yes, trips. I have already purchased the above mentioned lettuce and broccoli, again. Today I got a few tomato plants. I bought three that I've never heard of before. I'll give the full rundown later. This weekend is the Crowne Point Plant Sale!!! Yeah!! I thought I'd missed it. I'll get my peppers, a few tomatoes and maybe some squash.
This sale tends to be a bit more expensive than the standard nursery. All the plants are organically grown. Which, of course, I do also. However, last year it seemed that the tomatoes I purchased elsewhere, and for less, did better. I think it's because the heirloom tomatoes that I love to get require more care than I like to do. Lesson learned, so I'm doing more variety this year and will not get all my tomatoes from one place.
I have not slacked entirely. Nor has Toby destroyed all my efforts. I have peas that are several inches tall,lettuce,radishes,spinach,rapini(grown for Cappuccino) and some more broccoli. Not a bad start.
Normally, around this time of year I'd be antsy to plant more. Not this year. Here in Ohio it's freakin' cold!! It's still going into the 40's at night and some of the recent highs have been in the 50's. My heat is still coming on, for Pete's sake!! Global warming my arse!! (I'm just kidding, I'm very environmentally concerned)
Speaking of the environment, I've actually become much more aware and active in doing my part to decrease my carbon footprint. Most of the produce I purchase is organic, as is all my dairy and eggs. (local and free range!!) We purchased a grass fed cow again this year. And I get naturally raised whole chickens instead of the 10 pounds of frozen breasts I used to get. I also switched to enviro-friendly laundry products and am making the switch to other cleaning alternatives as needed. Feeling a little "holier than thou" lately. I still have a long way to go, but we're getting there. Oh, and we're buying the family bikes so we use the car less. Two down, two more to go.Bikes, that is. Nothing earth shattering, but I really believe that every bit helps.
In our next installment...Plant purchses!! ooohhhh I can't wait.

No comments: